Banking in Canada
Banks, credit unions, trust companies, or caisses populaires are safe places to keep your money.
- Deposits of up to $100,000 in most banks and trust companies are insured by the Canadian government.
- Deposits of up to $100,000 in most caisses populaires are insured by provincial governments.
- Deposit insurance is only available in Canada for Canadian funds held by Canadian banks.
- The bank must tell you if it is not covered by government deposit insurance.
- You should always inquire if the investment product that you are buying is covered by deposit insurance.
QC - Adopting Effective Banking Practices