Seniors Deserve To Live with Dignity and Respect
Abuse and neglect of an older person is any action or inaction by any person that causes harm to an older person.
What To Do
- Acknowledge - Suspicion of abuse may develop over time. Accumulate and document evidence.
- Barriers - Fear of retaliation, withdrawal of caregiver support and breach of confidentiality creates barriers to seeking help.
- Urgency - Assess immediate needs and potential risk of physical harm.
- Screen - Assess person’s physical, emotional and mental capacity to help themselves.
- Empower - Educate the person about their rights and available resources. Assist with establishing a safety plan.
- Refer - Seek support from, or consult with other professionals.
Elder Abuse - Assessment and Intervention Reference Guide