Aging Issues in the News
Crisis in Care - CTV's W5 investigation into nursing home residents at risk - includes an interview with Dr. Lynn McDonald
TVO's latest documentary on Grandparenting
Toronto's Shelter, Support and Housing Division is releasing a new guide to help in the process of finding support services for vulnerable seniors.
ARCHIVE: Aging Issues in the News
- A newly-released app lets seniors rate the ‘age-friendliness’ of restaurants, community centres, libraries, crosswalks, shopping centres and public transit in their city -- and share their ratings with others. The Age-CAP (Age-friendly Communities Assessment ApP) was developed by researchers at U of T and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute with funding from Toronto Rehab, and is owned by Toronto Rehab-UHN. Link to it here
- POWER (Project for an Ontario Women's Health Evidence-Based Report) Study Older Women’s Health Report
- In an update from our Australian partners at the University of New South Wales on their project with ICCE, they include a report on the take-up rates of our GPCOG (General Practitioner Assessment of Cognition) website and the user feedback to date.
- In a CTV Montreal special report Golden Outrage, October 2012, Cindy Sherwin looked at elder abuse and how those who care the most, are sometimes the perpetrators of violence and abuse.
- The Law Commission of Ontario (LCO) today released its Framework for the Law as it Affects Older Adults. The Framework enables policy-makers, legislators, courts, advocates, community organizations and others to understand and evaluate the effects of laws, policies and practices on older adults, and provides a foundation for law reform efforts in this area.
- WHY NOT NOW?A Bold, Five-Year Strategy for Innovating Ontario’s System of Care for Older Adults March 2012 - Long Term Care Innovation Expert Panel
- Changing Directions, Changing Lives: The first mental health strategy for Canada released today by the Mental Health Commission May 2012
- Seniors in need, caregivers in distress: What are they home care priorities for seniors in Canada? released April 26, 2012 by the Health Council of Canada - a look at the challenges and possible solutions for the growing need for homecare in Canada
- Report on Dementia from the World Health Organization April 2012 and WHO Media release
- End of Life discussion from the Globe & Mail March 17, 2012
- "The Best of Care: Getting It Right for Seniors in British Columbia (Part 2)" - Overview of the BC Ombudsperson's final report on her investigation into the crisis in seniors care in BC released February 14, 2012
- Recent studies in the IRPP’s Faces of Aging program Fall 2011
- The Government of Canada television campaign - Elder Abuse - It's Time to Face the Reality (November 21 to December 11, 2011)
- New Alzheimer’s Guidelines: How Will Research and Practice Be Affected? - APA Webinar October 3, 2011
- Mental Health Needs of Family Caregivers: Identifying, Engaging and Assisting - APA Webinar September 14, 2011
- Globe and Mail series on End of Life (November 27, 2011)
- Annual Report of the Geriatric LTC Review Committee